Monday, August 18, 2008

A few pictures from this morning




Logan is on CPAP now, to keep constant pressure in his lungs, in order to keep them open so that he can breathe efficiently.

Although it looks a bit scary, it has actually reduced the amount of work he was doing to breathe, so he's able to rest much easier today.

I was told this morning that he has pneumothorax, where some pressure in his lungs caused air to leak out into the pleural cavity. They said that most likely, this would heal itself - so they turned down the pressure on the CPAP and increased his oxygen. They are going to take another xray in a few minutes to see if his body has absorbed that air and to make sure it hasn't increased. If for some reason it hasn't healed itself and actually gets worse, they'll put a chest tube in to release the air pressure. This isn't something abnormal - they apparently deal with it on a regular basis. That's comforting...but when it's your kid, it's still concerning. The doctor's aren't worried about it...it's just a bump in the road that they are used to. I'll find out more about what's going on with that after the next xray.

Also, they may take him off cpap later and see how he does. His nurse told me that I might be able to hold him later too. It's so difficult to watch your baby lying there and not be able to hold him...it's like he's yours, but not really. The good news is that now that it's been almost 2 days, they got his mrsa culture back and it was negative, so at least now we can touch him without having to wear gloves.

1 comment:

Loving my kids said...

I love those little feet already!! I hope your little man is doing well today!!